Thursday, May 17, 2007

Super Summer

Sorry for the wait. It seems like life is starting to slow down a little. If the rest of summer goes like this, I'll be happy. It's just ride, race, work. I'm working part time at the shop which should be just enough for me to be able to buy all the really cool bike parts I want. I plan to fill my days off with epic adventures, mainly consisting of riding but I am going to make an effort to squeeze in some hiking (hopefully some 14'ers) and camping.


The other day I busted out the rigid single speed on Hall Ranch to see how badly I could get my ass kicked. I managed to stick most off the climb but could tell I was having an off day. So I passed the beast over to Blake who managed to shred it up the rest of the ride.


It was off to Nathrop last weekend for the first of the Mountain States Cup series. With this race coming the week after finals (I didn't ride once), it being a flat course with pretty much no climbing (not my forte), and the morning after a friends graduation party (I stayed up until 2:30am carbo-loading and had to get up at 7:30) I didn't have very high expectations. Not to mention the top 10 guys were really fast local pros. My first lap I was flyin' I passed some people I knew I shouldn't be in front of, I think putting myself in 6th place. Laps 2-4 didn't go as well but I just tried to hang on for dear life. All said and done I ended up in 12th, out of 22 finishers and about 28 starters. Not to bad for my first local pro race, especially after the preceding circumstances. No pics from this one, sorry.


Yesterday I did something that is very rarely possible in May. I hopped on the bus to Nederland and went mountain biking. I expected to hit some snow but we didn't come across any. Sweet!
The day started at fellow employee RC's house. This thing was awesome. Just a little, one room place hidden off in the woods. The path to his front door is rippin' singletrack and it's the same out the back. He had told me about a trail he built but I didn't expect anything as sweet as what were rode next. If you have the chance to ride with this guy, do it. He knows all.


Lastly Shep and I did some yard maintenance yesterday. Can you drink and drive ...a lawnmower?

And yes, this 12 foot trailer is full of things like pallets, refrigerators, rusty barrels, tables, chairs and lawnmowers...that came from our backyard. The only thing we were missing was a car on cinderblocks.

No comments: